Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Healthier Catalina Dressing

That is not really the title of the dressing in its original format, but this is what I am choosing to name it. And for those of us who still remember what processed foods tastes like this will definitely spark your memory. When I make things that are supposed to remind me of a dish from my past, it had very well taste like I remember. This was a happenstance of making this dressing.

For those of you who know me, I am not a lover of salads. Now now, let me explain. I love them, but not as a last ditch alternative. Let me set up a scenario for you:
Random friend: Hey, want to go out to eat?
Me: Where do you want to go?
Random Friend: How about Red Lobster?
Me: Thanks but no thanks, there really isn't much for me to eat there.
Random friend: You can have the salad.

What is screaming in my head is this:  IF THE SALAD IS SO BLINKING GOOD, THEN YOU HAVE IT!!!

But I keep my wits about me and keep quiet. Why do us vegans come off as salad loving idiots. Yes I love a good salad, but not like everyone thinks that I do. There is so much more to us than iceberg lettuce and 1,000 Island Dressing (unless you have made yours from scratch). But I am always looking for new and different dressings, so that when I do make a salad for dinner, it is not them same old thing staring us in the face. With that said, let's see what Dr. John McDougall has in store for us. I found this in a cookbook of his that I got at a flea market for $2. Worth every penny I spent on it. Now, on to the recipe.

1 t Dijon mustard
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup soy sauce (tamari or liquid aminos is my preference, since we technically do not use soy sauce any longer)
A few dashes of hot sauce (optional)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Place all the ingredients in a jar and shake well. I know this is a complicated dish, so if you have any questions on how to prepare this, please get in touch with me...I am here to help. REALLY!? Get one of your unused pint-sized mason jars and purchase some matching lids and rings (there are some that are quite decorative out there. Now you don't have to purchase a new-fangled bottle for dressing and you can use it over and over. AND, they are made from glass. And that is a sure sight better than using plastic.

Even my husband agreed that it reminded him of Catalina Dressing. So go and make this and as always, make...eat...enjoy!

No comments: